Sunday, September 17, 2006

5767

I would like to take the opportunity to wish everyone a k'sivah v'chasimah tovah. I appreciate the comments of everyone with whom I've had discussions with, both on this blog, as well as(more often) on other blogs. Even when I disagree with someone's comments , I usually find that their comments force me to clarify my own thoughts.

There is a well-known insight from the Satmar Rav Zt'l on the pasuk in Parshas Eikev:

A land that Hashem, your G-d, looks after; the eyes of Hashem, your G-d, are always upon it, from the year's beginning until [the] year's end(Devarim 11:12).

The Satmar Rav notes that in the Hebrew, the Torah uses a hei hayediyah(definite article) for "reishis hashanah"(the year's beginning), but omits the hei, for "acharis shanah"(year's end). This is because people usually say at the beginning of the year, that the coming year will be THE year, and have plans for attaining spiritual goals. However, at the the year's end, it turns out merely to be "a" year, without the expected accomplishments.

May this year indeed be "the" year for everyone.